Monday, December 28, 2009

16w2d Appt

Let's start off with how my morning started. You gotta love Monday's especially after a long holiday weekend. I can never sleep on Sunday nights after a break. My mind races about things I have to do the next day, I'm paranoid I'll miss my alarm, etc. Last night was no different. I couldn't fall asleep. I ended up reading in bed until about midnight. The last time I looked at the clock it was about 12:20. I got up about three times to pee throughout the night. I was hot and flopping around. It was not fun. After about 5am I didn't sleep much because I kept looking at the clock. It's actually a good thing I did. I had double checked to see if I had set my alarm for the right time when I went to bed, but I never actually turned it on. I ended up getting up about 10 minutes before it was supposed to go off anyway.



I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I've been super phlegmy lately. Every morning I'm blowing snot out of my head and hacking up nasties. Well this morning in the shower I start coughing to get out the crud, and I feel like I'm going to puke. Of course I don't want to puke in the shower, so I'm basically choking to avoid coughing anymore. I finally get out and can use the sink. I manage to finish getting ready, only gaging once while drinking water (for some reason I can only sip water in the mornings or else I gag...???). I go out to my car and it's frozen. So I start it up and get out to scrape windows etc. I start coughing again...and stopped myself from puking, but I couldn't completely calm down, my mouth was still watering. I go back in the car trying to breathe slow and calm down. Nope, didn't work. I jump out of the car and manage to get just off the driveway before I lost it. Happy Monday to me. I hope my neighbors didn't see.



Anyway, on to my appointment. I get there and have to fill out three pages of medical history, pee in a cup, step on the scale, check my blood pressure, a pap smear, a breast exam, two ultrasounds of the babes and my cervix. He manually checked my "birth canal". I was informed I had good birthing hips and could easily deliver a 9 pounder...thanks doc. I also got to have 5 vials of blood drawn. The only thing I didn't do was give a saliva sample and I think that would have completed all the samples I could give...The doc also informed my that I have very large breasts - really? Gee doc, I hadn't noticed. He asked me if the babies would ever see them. I said probably not. I don't want to commit to being tied to a chair all the time, but they will get as much breast milk as I can pump. He seemed happy with that.



He went though all the standard medical history questions and told me about the tests they were going to do with my blood. Everything seemed pretty routine. He said everything looked good. The babies are getting big. I can't even see their whole bodies on the u/s anymore. I got a good shot of both this time. They are both laying on their backs, face up. One of them you can even see the ribs. It's very cool. I'll post them in the next day or two. I have to get over to my MIL's for her to scan them.



He suggested I take an iron supplement. I also needed something extra for calcium since I'm only getting about 2 servings a day. He mentioned Tums, which is perfect because I've been eating those suckers every day for heartburn, so I'm good with that anyway. For the mucus issue, he suggested Claratin. I'll have to pick up some of that and see if it helps. If I can get that under control then I won't be coughing, then gaging then puking almost everyday.



Well, I think that's the full recap. I'll be going in every two weeks for them to check my cervix. Hopefully we'll get to see the babes again too. I love watching them on the u/s screen.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

My MFM was crackin some wise the other day when he said, "Pregnancy is really just a state of congestion." Hehe. Phlegm is not fun, do the best you can to keep it moving out so that you don't get all blocked up.

I've been researching iron supplements because I guess my dr. wants me on one now too. I'd recommend you look in to amino acid chelated iron. My last prenatal was elemental iron and it was horribly hard on me and I didn't absorb it well and then I switched to an prenatal with chelated iron and have done well but need a little more now. So I've been looking into them and am probably going to get some "Gentle Iron" to try. Whatever you try, watch out for constipation and stomach upset and if you have a lot it might be time to try something different. Good luck.

Jess said...

Unfortunately being an expert on phlegm due to my many sinus and allergy issues, one of the most important things to do when you're phlegm-y is to keep hydrated. Water thins out mucus and makes it easier to cough up or blow out. Just don't drink it so fast in the morning that you get sick - it'd be counter-productive.

Hope you're on the mend soon - like me! :)