Friday, December 18, 2009

The announcement...

So, this morning we had our quarterly staff meeting. It is a mandatory meeting, so all 35is staff were there. At this particular meeting, the president of the association I work for gives out the awards to employees who have been there for 5 year, 10 years, etc. This year is my 5th. So he calls my name, I go up to the front to accept my (actually really nice) embroidered jacket, and he says something about do I want to share my news...

Well of course I couldn't say no - although I really wanted to! I hate speaking in front of people. It was bad enough earlier when we had to go around the room and introduce ourselves to the new employees who have started int he last few months. So I say something like "uh, ya, um, so I'm pregnant with twins!" Every claps, etc. It was nice, but dang, I was embarrassed. Thanks Mr. President :0)

Last night, some of the staff (about 15 of us) and their spouses, went to a local bar/restaurant to do some socializing outside of work. Well, one fairly new guy brings his wife. I totally recognized her from my doctor's office. She actually works for a company who helped re-brand our company, so I have been in meetings with her before. Anyway, I thought when I saw her at the doctor's office I recognized her, but I never thought that she and this new guy were married (their last name is pretty common). Anyway, as soon as I saw her and made the connection my heart went out to them. They were going to Dr. M for the same reason, to get knocked up. A coworker I was sitting by (who referred me to Dr. M) told me this couple had been trying for a really long time and are now talking about adoption as they are approaching their 40's.

All of this is to say that when I "had" to make my announcement this morning, I felt really guilty, because I know the feeling of trying for so long and hearing other people getting pregnant. I really want to go up to him and explain that I know what he and his wife are going through and explain how I got pregnant. I can't though, because I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate me finding out their situation from another coworker...

Anyway, it's been an interesting morning, and that was just the staff meeting. We have our holiday party starting in about an hour, and that is always interesting too.


1 comment:

Rach said...

Well, I hope you are ok with your President spilling the beans!

It is exciting I'm sure. I wouldnt feel guilty about making your announcement. It's your time to shine! You've been through a lot and you deserve to share your happiness.