Tuesday, August 3, 2010

2 month appointment

The poor little girls had their two month appointment today. It went pretty well. They got weighed and measured. K came in at 11.5lbs and 22.5" (although I question the accuracy of the length measurement). N came in at 10.5lbs and 23". I have a hard time believing that N is longer than K, since her little toes come to the end of clothes that N can still fit in to...unless the weight makes that much of a difference.

We talked about the reflux meds. K is actually off of them now. About 4-5 days ago I had forgotten to give her her meds for a day or two. When I realized I'd forgotten I kept an eye on her. She didn't seem to care at all. I haven't given her any more since. Same went for N, although she was still showing signs of discomfort, so we continue to give it to her. The doc said they could go off of it anytime. I think we'll give N another week or so and see if she does better. I'm glad K is done. It's so hard to remember to give it to her...well both of them every 12 hours. At least with just one kid we can remember the time better.

We also talked about N and her scaly skin. Dr. J suggested trying some lotion on her, especially behind one of her ears where is is particularly crusty. If the lotion doesn't work after a week we can try some hydro cortisone cream for a few days.

I brought up K and her "high maintenance" ways. It was fairly obvious at the appointment though that she is the "needier" child. She was squirming all over the place and crying off and on. We played the darned pacifier game the whole time. Have I mentioned I have a love/hate relationship with those stinkin things? K especially loves to spit it out and cry until I put it back in over and over again. I'm trying not to give in, which brings me to my next topic.

Crying it out. I hate to hear my babies cry. N is especially heartbreaking since she only really cries when she needs something and it is such a sad little cry. She however is not the reason we talked about crying. K can drive Hubby and I up a wall. Like I've said before, she'll fall asleep in our arms and we go to put her to bed and she wakes up crying. We asked the doc if they were too young to let cry for a while. He didn't think so. Of course it's up to us on how we want to handle it, but he suggested if of course she'd fed, changed, etc. that it's okay to let her go for about 10 minutes then go in and check on her and rub her belly or something to let her know we're there then to let her be again. I feel so much better hearing him say that. We've been doing that with her more and more lately. She is just so inconsolable unless your holding her. I have to break that habit. I've been doing better not picking her up. I'll go in after a while and make sure she's still wrapped tight and put the pacifier back in (yes, I play the game I hate), then I'll leave. She usually battles for hours, but according to the doc, that's okay. He said especially since we have two, one of them is going to have to cry sometimes. Sad, but true.

Speaking of crying...the poor widdle girls got their shots today. So sad! N seemed to tolerate them pretty well. She whimpered with the first one. Whimpered a little more with the second. And really cried with the third one. Her poor thighs have three little princess band-aids on them. In the meantime, K had fallen asleep on me. I wanted to wake her up before so it wouldn't be such a shock, but she was pretty tired. Poor girl got stuck while she was sleeping. She cried with all three. The last one was the worst though, she really wailed. Thankfully the crying stopped once we were on the move with them in their car seats.

After we got home the both slept for about 3 hours. When they woke up though they were in a lot of pain :0( Thankfully MIL had picked up some infant T.ylenol and we gave them that. Boy did that work wonders. You could tell every time they moved their legs around they were in pain, but after the meds I think they felt a lot better. They both chilled out for a while and went back to sleep. We're going to give them their next dose as soon as they can have it to make sure they sleep well tonight, then we'll gauge how they are doing tomorrow.

Tomorrow...I have my 2 month follow-up with Dr. M. I'm a little nervous he's going to dig around in my "area". I don't feel completely back to normal yet down there. I know my stitches have healed up, but there are still aches and pains and I'd really appreciate it if he took it easy. We'll see. Male doctors just don't get it.

Well, that's about the gist of it. All in all the girls are doing well. We go back in two months for their 4 month check up...and more shots. I want to remember to give them a dose of Tyle.nol before their appointment to see if that helps their pain at all. There is nothing more sad then having your babies hurting and not being able to take it away.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

The shots are miserable. My ped's office will double team the kid and have 2 nurses administer the shots at once (although that 3rd shot is still a problem at the 2 month appt). I still feel awful watching him react, but I think the double team approach helps overall.

Hopefully K gets better at self soothing soon. It would be hard for me not to hold and comfort her too, but you have a point about having twins necessitates some crying (I'd guess that's the hardest part of twins).

I had a really easy birth and things were working, but not completely "normal" at my postpartum checkup. I was a little worried that I was doomed if things weren't right by then, but another month or so and I'm 100% now. So I think it can be normal to just take a little extra time to heal.