Friday, February 6, 2009

Patience, Grasshopper

I left my office this morning at 9:45a to head to my 10am appointment (thinking it would just be my "lunch hour"). I arrived a few minutes before and patiently, then impatiently waited. There was one other very pregnant patient waiting when I got there. As we were sitting there another very pregnant woman left...I'm taking this as a good sign. Hopefully these two were infertile before and not one of those "natural conceivers" - lol - I don't like those kind :0) Anyway, she eventually got taken back and I sat there, and sat there...I got to listen to the receptionist answer calls and put patients on hold while she takes personal calls. Yep, that's right. I heard her ask a person to hold, she took the other call and was saying "oh, where are you going?...oh, I could use some shampoo and conditioner...what was the name of Johnny's school?..." She sat there and kept the patient on hold while she was chatting away....she eventually got off the phone and took care of a patient. Then she has ANOTHER personal call and it sounded like she was looking for a babysitter for tonight because she needs to go to H&R Block, but they don't take appointments, only walk-ins and the last walk-in is at 7pm....ugh...

After this phone call was over - and it was about 10:25, I finally asked how much longer it was going to be and she said I was next - well I could have figured that since I was the only person in the waiting room. Ugh. It was 10:32 the last time I checked the time and shortly after I was called back - FINALLY

I was brought back to the room, told to strip from the waist down and wait. I waited again....then the doctor and a nurse came in. He did the ultrasound, pointing out everything we saw (I had my own little screen to look at) he showed me my bladder and some large blood vessel that heads down or up, I don't remember, my leg. My ultrasound was fine. No cyst - yay! He told me to get dressed and meet him in his office. So I did.

He looked over my u/s pics again and made some notes. He gave me my prescription for Femara and said "We'll call today CD5", so start the Femara tonight. He also gave me some instruction for the OPK's, since I've never used them before. He also explained Hubby's semen analysis a little more. I don't remember the exact terminology, but something about the glucose coagulating or something like that. He said the white blood cells were actually immature sperm. Anyway he said when Hubby comes in for the "deposit" the semen guy will do a "percoll preperation", which is adding some kind of liquid to the semen sample. I didn't really understand. I'm going to consult Dr. Google when I'm done rambling on with this blog...

He also said he forgot to have two tests done the last time I got my blood drawn, so I had to go back to the lab and have my blood drawn again. Now, you may recall that I had quite the sucky experience last time. It took two nurses and three veins to finally get my blood. Well today it was only one nurse and two veins, but she got it. Ouch! By this time it is almost 11:30...so much for my lunch "hour"...

So, tonight I took my first Femara dose and will for the next four days. Then on day 12 (next Friday) I'll start taking using the OPK's. I will do that for five days until I get a positive, then I call for the insemination. If I don't get a positive, I'm to call and have an u/s done to see how things are or are not progressing.

Whew! What a morning. This clinic is definitely going to stretch my patience, I hope I have more to spare.

Hallelujah for Friday's. I'm so happy I get to chill for two days. Next week is going to be a rough one at work. We have one of our annual events taking place on Wednesday and there is lots to prepare before then.

Have a great weekend ya'll!!

No comments: