Monday, June 28, 2010

Back to work

Once again, it has taken me days and days to complete a post...

I started back to work on Monday (boo!). It actually hasn't been too bad, but I'm sure it's just because I'm working 4 hour days. My original plan was to work half days this week and next, then go back to full time the following week. I thought I'd have to stick to that plan since that's what I worked out with my boss before I left on maternity leave.

Well, I found out on Monday that during my 12 weeks of maternity leave I could use that time however I wanted to. I decided to continue with the half days until my leave is over (August 9). I feel so much better about this. I've really had a lot of anxiety about leaving Hubby alone with the kids. His mom has been coming over everyday to help him out while I'm gone, but I know that won't last forever.

I think I mentioned in my previous post about how I never really thought I'd feel so strongly about staying home with my girls. I thought it would work out perfect having Hubs stay home during the day while I worked, then he would go to work when I got home. Well, things haven't worked out exactly that way. Since Hubby has started back to work he hasn't gotten a whole heckova lot of hours. Seriously, like one or two shifts a week. He also doesn't enjoy being a stay-at-home-dad like I thought he would. Although he said it is growing on him.

We've been having some discussions lately and he's going to be hunting for a new job. He just can't rely on getting more hours from his current employer. Plus, I REALLY would like to be with my girls, so he needs something that has decent pay and benefits so I could quit or drastically reduce my hours at work. Currently, I have to work 30/week to keep my benefits.

My boss also asked me if I'd like to continue to work half time after my leave is over. I would really like to do this, but I just don't see how it will work. If Hubby finds a new job, then we'd have to have childcare for them while I'm at work. It doesn't make sense to put them in daycare for 4 hours a day since I'll probably not make enough money in that time to be worth it. If Hubby hasn't gotten a new job by then, that means he'll probably still not have many hours and it would make more sense for me to work full time to bring home the bacon. I really "should" work full time now for the money, but I'll never have this opportunity again to work half time at my office (unless obviously if I did it permanently).

Our life is so crazy right now. It seems the dust will never settle. Our girls are growing like weeds and I want to be there as much as I can to witness it.

Oh and an update from my last post...we have to plans to move into my parents garage. Although it would be a money saver, it just doesn't make sense. I am still willing to cut back on our lifestyle for a few years to make things work for me to stay home...but we'll just have to see how it all plays out. This year has sucked pretty bad, and I'm sad my girls had to join us during this time, but I guess things happen for a reason. Thank God for the GENEROUS help we've gotten from our family though, it's the only thing getting us through right now.

No comments: