Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Six weeks

My baby girls are six weeks old today. Where has the time gone? I wanted to take a picture of them each month with some sort of toy or object so we could see their growth from month to month...well, that didn't happen for month-one. I suppose we have so many pictures of them from their first month it doesn't make that much of a difference and here we are halfway to month two anyway. I must try to make that happen in two weeks. They change so fast!



Kaitlyn aka Kermit, Monster and Squeakers:
She is my little cuddle bug. Her favorite position is laying on my chest. I love, love, love snuggling with her. However, this does have it's drawbacks. It's hard to get her to lay on her back when it's time for bed if she's fallen to sleep on my chest. I have to admit - and don't go calling the baby police - but I let her sleep on her stomach during the day when she's napping. She sleeps so well on her belly. And yes, I watch her like a hawk when she's on her stomach. At night for a while she was sleeping in her bouncy seat since she was having issues with reflux. We've been giving her some meds to help that and it has made such a huge difference. She used to only sleep or cry. Now she has awake time where she is pleasant and not screaming all the time. Poor kid. I'm glad we were able to help her. I've been trying the last few nights to have her sleep in her cradle instead of the bouncy seat or with me in bed (which is nice, but I don't sleep that well that way). It seems to work for about half the night, but by 4 or 5am I'm too tired to put the effort into making sure she is really hard asleep to put her in the cradle. If she's just barely asleep she'll stay asleep if she is with me. I don't want to start any bad habits with her though. Maybe if she was an only child it'd be different, but since we have two kids, I don't want to have all four of us sleeping together when they're older.


Katie has also graduated to 3 month onesies and she's filled out the size 1-2 Kirk.land diapers pretty well. She is growing so fast. I think I'm going to start letting her hands be free more. Until now they both have been in "sleeper sacks" this whole time with the covers for their claws. She seems to keep her hands from her face most of the time, except when she's really upset. Her nails are pretty short, so I think she might not mutilate her face too much.



Natalie aka Nate-dog, Wilbur, Fonzi and sometimes Monster:
She is our laid back one. She is pretty quiet for the most part. Of course she does have her moments of crying for no obvious reason, but that's not too often. She is pretty content chilling out by herself for a while. We can put her in a bouncy seat or the swing and she'll just hang out checking out the toys. Unlike her sister who likes to be held most of the time. She spits up a lot. At first it didn't seem to bother her, but then in the last week and a half or so she's started showing the same signs her sister did of reflux. We called the doc and he had us start giving her meds too. It seems to be helping a lot. Natalie is a little piggy too. She packs away all 4 oz of her bottle most of the time. And she ain't no lady either. When she's done, she'll belch louder than any beer drinkin' slob at a bar. It is quite humorous actually.

This weekend I started putting her in 0-3 month onesies. Goodbye cute newborn clothes. She is also wearing the size 1-2 diapers. They are a little bigger on her, but I think they still fit fine. She also apparently started smiling at people...except her mother. Both grandmas and Hubby have said they think she smiled at them - on purpose. I haven't gotten to see that yet. Snif, snif.

At night she hangs out with her dad. Hubby and I decided that's the easiest way to tackle them at night is if we each are responsible for one of them. That way we're both not getting up for one kid. I've been taking Kaitlyn since she is the needier one and I seem to have a little more patience than Hubby. It seems to be working pretty well, although I will say I do feel guilty for not spending as much time with Natalie. It's sad to say, but the squeaky wheel does get the grease. If this continues as they get older, I need to make sure that I give Natalie just as much attention, she doesn't need to be "punished" for not causing a ruckus. I know how that goes. My brother was a trouble maker and I was a pretty good kid. He got more attention then and actually until the girls were born he still got my parents attention the most. Not that I needed them, but he's always been catered to more than me.

Well, I think that about sums it up for now. Overall they are doing great. I cannot believe it has already been six weeks since they were born. I look back at pictures from even two weeks ago and I can see such a huge difference between them.

2 comments:

Life Happens said...

Absolutely adorable!

Amanda said...

They are precious!

We kept M's hands covered pretty well for at least the first month, but he grew so quickly, we ran out of things with cuffs (and those mittens never stayed on) so we had to venture into the great unknown. It's quite a challenge to clip his nails and he needs it about twice a week. We have to get him when he is sleeping and that is easier said than done. Good luck doing that times 2!