Monday, July 12, 2010

Surgery Day...again

Today Hubs had his third (and hopefully final) surgery. I just heard from his mom, who's at the hospital that things went well and he just go moved out of recovery to his room. Phew! We're crossing our fingers that he gets to come home in the morning.

I've been home for most of the day with the girls. OMG, what a workout! They both just fell asleep after being up for the most part for the last 4 hours...together. Thank goodness Natalie is a pretty content baby or else I might have ran from my house screaming today. Poor Kaitlyn is so needy. She just wants to be held all the time. I think she may be colicky. I hate that word colic. It's just a blanket term for a baby who cries a lot, but it sounds like some sort of disease or huge problem. She just cries a lot. I thought we were over that when we started the reflux meds with her, and for a while she was a happier baby. Now in the last four or five days she seems to cry and cry. I don't think there is anything wrong. Sometimes I think it may be that her guts are hurting her, but there are times when she passes gas or has a bm with no problem, so who knows.

Since last Thursday night the girls have been taking turns spending a night with a grandma. Hubby's mom has had them a few nights and K spent the night with my mom on Saturday. I don't think I could handle both of them at night. It is really rough during the day. Grandma C (Hub's mom), we'll call her GC, brought N back home this morning. She was also taking Hubs to the hospital. Both girls were asleep when they left, but about 20 minutes later they were both stirring and eventually woke up. I juggled feeding one, then the other and trying to keep them entertained too. GC came back over after dropping Hubby off and entertained them while I got some stuff done around the house. When she left to go back to the hospital, all hell broke loose. Both girls were still awake when she left. K was not happy she wasn't being held and N was bored of the swing. I managed to keep N somewhat happy with the pacifier, but K was SCREAMING. I have a wrap, kind of like the Mob.y and I was wearing K around. She was quiet for all of oh...a minute, and started wailing again. N was still not too happy either, so I decided to take them for a walk. I kept K strapped to me and put N in her car seat. We have a single stroller too that the car seat can snap into, so I put her in that and off we went. N fell asleep pretty quickly and K eventually did. We did two laps around the block. I left N in her car seat sitting on the couch so I didn't disturb her. K, I unwrapped and laid on the couch too. Both sound asleep...or so I thought. About 10 minutes later, both were awake and crying again. This time...for food. I got them both propped on a pillow on the couch and fed them and burped them. Once again N was a trooper and was so patient while K was screaming every time she was neglected. K was done eating and N still had quite a bit to go, so I swaddled K up tight - arms and all, and put her in the swing while I finished feeding N. She screamed and cried that heart-wrenching horrible cry for just a few minutes then she was quiet. She grunted a couple of times to push out a poo...and was quiet again. I changed her, swaddled her back up, she cried some more and I rocked her. In the meantime, I had swaddled N and stuck her in the other swing (thank God we have two!). They both fell asleep. I think they are out for real this time. It's been about 15 minutes and there hasn't been much movement out of either one.

I'm pooped and need a nap. Hopefully GC will be back fairly soon. I'd like to go see Hubs at the hospital but I understand if she doesn't want to watch both girls alone. It's tough!

I'm sure one of them will stay with her again tonight, then maybe tomorrow night they can both stay home. It breaks my heart to have one gone, but I know it's the best for everyone. They get the attention they need and I get to keep my sanity.

Well, it's only 3:30, we'll see what the rest of the day has in store. **heavy sigh**

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey, I'm new to blogging and infertility, and I just wanted to introduce my self. I'm Jess. I enjoy reading about others' experiences (and successes!). Please feel free to follow me! http://jesstryingtoconceive.blogspot.com/