Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Worth the wait

I FINALLY had my much anticipated appointment with the new IF doc. It was worth not just the four appointments, but the 1/2 hour wait when we got there.

There are two doctors who will be taking care of me. My hubby and I met with both of them today. The first doc, Dr. C, came in and went over our history and prepared my chart for next doc, the main one, I'm assuming, Dr. M. Wow, lemme just say that Dr. M is quite the "quirky" fellow. He has really, uh, unique, mannerisms. I have to admit, I was holding back laughing at him during the first 10 mins or so of our meeting. I can't really describe it other than quirky.

Anyway, after I got past all that I realized I really liked the guy. He was very thorough. I brought in my chart from the Seattle place I went to before. He went though each appointment and made notes of his own. He asked questions we could ask him questions too. It was nice. The appointment, once it got started, lasted about an hour. Here is our plan...

I need to go in to have my insulin levels checked. If needed, I will start metformin. I will also have my TSH levels checked, if needed, I might go on a low dose of thyroid meds. I have a prescription to start provera on Monday...which is totally lame because I just finished my period a few days ago...but I guess we aren't wasting any time, and I'm a-o-k with that. When I start my period I'm to call for a prescription for Femara. I'll take the Femara and be monitored this time by peeing on a stick (instead of the $150 ultrasounds like before). I just realized I don't know if I will be getting the HCG shot when I'm ready or not. Then the plan is to try the first time with timed intercourse (assuming hubby's semen analysis is good - the first one he was sick and only abstained for about 8 hours). If the SA is not great, or this first time doesn't work, then next time we'll move to IUI. We will do this routine for 3 cycles. If no luck, then we'll move to injectables.

Hubby and I left there feeling very optimistic, and in fact, Dr. M said my prognosis is "quite good". I'm very happy about that!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Good luck! :)

Leslie Laine said...

Sounds promising! Keep us posted!