Saturday, January 17, 2009

Yowza!!

Dr. M on Wednesday wanted me to have some blood drawn to test my TSH and insulin levels. I think there was a third, but I can't remember.

Anywho, I was going to go this morning at 7:30 when the lab opened (since I had to fast), but sleep won over getting up early, so I decided to go on my lunch hour instead. Which, yes, meant I couldn't eat any breakfast. Thankfully, work has been crazy busy, so I really didn't have time to think about how hungry I was. Plus, I was trying to drink a TON of water. It is supposed to make your veins puff up and be easier to to find...supposedly...

I went to the lab at noon. I only had to wait about 10-15 mins, which I thought was pretty good. I was taken back to my seat. I looked around and saw about 5 different technicians. One of them in particular I got a bad vibe from and hoped she wouldn't be the one "stealing" my blood. Of course...it was her...

I don't have the greatest veins for taking blood. The are deep below the skin and hard to find. After inspecting both arms and asking a second opinion she decided on my left arm. She tried that vein...nothing. She decided she didn't want to continue to poke me so she asked the tech who provided the second opinion to take over. She tried the crease of my elbow on my right arm. Nothing. She even dug around in my arm trying to find the vein - YOWZA! Nothing. She tried a third time. This time my right arm and slightly to the inside of my elbow. Finally, success!

As you probably gathered from previous posts, I really don't like needles and not even just on myself. I can't watch people getting injections on TV. I can watch real life surgeries and stuff, but no needles. So, needless to say this experience TOTALLY sucked! At least both of the ladies were very apologetic, even though it didn't make getting stabbed three times any better. After collecting two vials, I left and went to my car where I had a banana waiting. I scarfed it in like 3 bites and that satisfied me long enough to hunt down some lunch. Whew, that a morning!

1 comment:

I Believe in Miracles said...

Sorry about the blood draws. Like this new dr plan though. Hopeful for you.
~~HUGS~~