Monday, March 2, 2009

My-very fertile-Family Tree

Last week I started the project of putting together my family tree. I got a great list today from one of my dad's sisters. She listed a few generations, their spouses and kids. Even some birth and death dates. It is a great list. BUT I'm realizing on this list that my PCOS, if it is really a genetic issue, did NOT come from this side of the family!

My grandmother (dad's side) is one of 13 children! Those 13 children produced 43 more babies!! Holy smokes! My dad's siblings (5, including him) had 14 kids! Whew! This isn't even counting his dad's side of the fam (I'm waiting on that list).

My mom's side of the family - dad and mom (which I am still working on too) - will be huge as well. My mom is one of 9 children and they all have had at least a couple.

So, I guess for my case, PCOS and infertility issues are definitely NOT genetic - damn, so much for figuring out "WHY ME???"!

I've got my mom and my mother-in-law working on getting me some more info. So far there are 108 people in the family tree and there is A LOT more to add. After I get full names and some dates I'm going to start digging around to find out some history. It is all very interesting!!

2 comments:

1luckychick said...

That is great that you have the ability to look into your family tree. I don't have any family (my parents are both passed on and the family on either side forgot about me and my brother). I never thought about whether there was any family history of it. I do know everyone seemed pretty fertile except my mother. She had to take fertility drugs of some sort with my brother (1977). I just sort of came along after that. I wish you luck in your research!

SCS said...

Good luck with your family-tree research. One of my family members in Germany recently emailed me a link to a portion of my own family tree - it was amazing! It was traced back all the way to the 1700's...there was even a picture of one of my great-great-great-grandmothers...crazy...and the funniest thing was my husband and my mother both said I looked like this great-great-great grandmother. But for trying to link your PCOS with your genetics...I know PCOS runs on my mother’s side of the family. My mother's sister is a fellow infertile who never had bio children, and it took many years for my grandmother to conceive
Have fun digging through family history!