Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Crunch time!

I am really starting to feel the pressure to make sure everything is in order for when these babies arrive. I have so many lists going of things I want/need to do. My latest idea of a good thing to do it plan ahead and freeze some meals for us. Instead of working at working today (shhh!), I've been googling all sorts of recipes I can make and freeze. There are several meals that require tomato sauce. I make spaghetti sauce from scratch, and while it is simple, it takes a while to do. I am thinking of dedicating my weekend to getting all these meals done. Or at least some. I figure Friday I could make the sauce, then Saturday I could assemble some meals to freeze. Of course this requires a clean kitchen, so between now and Friday I need to take care of that.

My other priority is to get my hospital bag packed. I can't believe it's that time already! And of course in order to do that...I need to do laundry. I don't mind the loading of the machines, but the putting away it what I hate. I suppose I need to get over it...the laundry is only going to get worse! :0)

Next is finishing the nursery/buying the last few items. I feel like I'm completely organized with the clothes, and other miscellaneous items, but we need some sort of shelving in there, like a book shelf to put a lamp on and the cutest darn piggy banks they got from one of the grandmas, plus books, etc. I want to put a touch lamp in there so it can be really dim if I want it. And, they need bedding still! I have some sheets that I got from the showers, but I still haven't bought the bedding set(s). I figured I only need one for now and we can get the second set later when we set up the second crib. We also need some sort of garbage pail or diaper g.enie to put in there...hmm...what else? Oh bottles! We don't have any. My original idea was to use the drop-in system...but now I'm second guessing that decision and wondering if I should just use regular old bottles. Does anyone have an opinion on that? My thinking was to take convenience over expense. But now I'm wondering how convenient the drop-ins would be. I'd have to stock up and go buy more when we run out instead of using the same bottles over again and just washing them. Hmm...

One last thing in the nursery that isn't a must, but would be nice, is if I could find some sort of curtain/shower curtain to put in the closet and remove the doors. Right now there are two sliding doors, but they are kinda narrow and the sides of the closet are kinda deep so it's not exactly easy to see everything with one side open. Of course it isn't a necessity, but it's be nice. I think that's about it for the nursery...although writing it all out it kinds sounds like a lot.

I need to take some time and reorganize my kitchen cupboards to make room for bottles. Currently we have a large cupboard that has miscellaneous crap in it that just needs a new home. If I got that cleaned out, I could move some other stuff around and that would work fine...I think.

Of course there are many other little projects I would have loved to get done, but they are just not possible with Hubby still on the mend and me not able to do a whole lot. Besides, are the babies really going to notice if the garage isn't cleaned or the flower bed isn't weeded? I doubt it.

I'm going to leave you with two questions...

1) What are your thoughts on bottles (drop-ins vs. regular)?
2) Any tips on what to pack in a hospital bag (other than what the books tell you to pack)?

5 comments:

melissa said...

My favorite hospital bag trick is to have your husband pack it for you. That way when you need something he can get it for you without you trying to explain where everything is. As far as stuff...I feel like you need way less than even the books say. You need nothing for the babies except what you want to take them home in. (Even though it's fun to have your own stuff while in the hospital, they just mess it up so quickly that it's easier to give laundry to the nurse instead of packing it in your bag to do when you get home.) And for yourself...whatever you would pack for an overnight trip. Whatever you pack in must be packed out, and having a ton to carry out along with babies...that can't be fun.

Making food to freeze is such a good idea. I did that and I didn't have to cook for about 2 months. So wonderful.

You asked something else but I can't remember...

melissa said...

Oh, bottles. I have no experience with that one!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to post anonymous - I don't have any of the required accounts.
As far as the hospital bag, the best thing I brought was chapstick! I had a c-section and didn't go through labor so I found chapstick helpful for the 3 day stay. Also, snacks for the hubby! On my son's birthday snacks came in very handy as time got away and the only thing he ate al day were those snacks.

As far as bottles, we used Dr. Brown's the first 3 months or so - lots of parts to wash with one baby so with 2 - whew! Now at 4+ months, we use the drop in's and find them far easier. We sterilize the nipples and lids and put the bottle portion in the dishwasher. Much easier to travel (with the diaper bag - not extended travel) with too because you can bring one bottle (or two in your case) and just change our the nipples and lids.

Either way, you will make the right decision for you and yoru babies!
Tracy

finding_ac said...

your still planning on pumping vs bfeeding? From my extensive study on the baby bottle department i found that the breastflow bottles are the best of the best.

you still going with the dr seuss theme? Cause i saw a lot of cute baby bedding at Ross and at Big Lots recently that was cheap....but not cheap looking! If i wasnt such a fancy pants and doing a "old world style" theme for my nursery i would have bought the store out of nursery items. Ross also has extra crib sheets for relativly cheap in the bargain bins near the baby section....FYI.

♥ ac

finding_ac said...

oop, i made it look like i found dr seuss bedding at ross...which isnt true, just cute bedding....and seriously check out big o lots first, cause there stash was good.

♥ ac