Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The needle lesson

All in all it went well.

Unfortunately, I had to be a guinea pig and let them poke me :0(

The nurse walked through each step with us, most steps were pretty obvious or similar to preparing the HCG injection. The only big difference was snapping off the glass top on the saline this time. But it was the same when drawing up the saline, injecting it into the powder vial, then drawing that back up, switching needles (from the filter needle to the one that goes in me). Then knock out and push out the air from the syringe and viola! Ready to go.

I had to lay on my stomach on the table, get my pants pulled down, lift up one leg (w/o bending the knee) so hubby could see where my butt muscle was and she showed him how to grab a hunk of my cheek and as I hear her saying something about using your arm not your wrist to insert the needle I remember asking twice if I was going to get poked. She wouldn't answer me and then Hubby said no. Just after he said no, I got poked. Dang it. Ya, I don't like needles, and ya, I can't watch them prepare it without getting the heebie jeebies, but I'd like to know if I'm going to get stabbed or not. Geesh! (side note: it was only saline that she injected me with.)

It wasn't all bad, and my fear of needles is not about the pain, because MOST of the time it doesn't hurt, but it's just the anticipation and knowing there was something penetrating my skin, etc. I can't explain it, but even now, just typing about it, the hair on my neck is raising.

Anywho, we were sent home with our drugs, I stopped at the pharmacy and picked up my needles and alcohol wipes, and off we went. Tonight is the first of five nights of injections. THANKFULLY it is only one per night :0)

On Saturday, I will get my last injection and go in and see Dr. M and have an u/s to see where we are...

I'll keep y'all posted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with all the future pokes! I usually like to not know, so I'm surprised when it's over... when I was 18, I got tattooed and pierced and wasn't a weenie, but ten years later, and I quake at the idea!

- Molly
http://roots-andwings.blogspot.com/

1luckychick said...

Oh I hate injections...and then for my 2ww I am on PIO shots too...not fun. Good luck and I hope this pays off for you and you get your positive!!!

Just Believing said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! Good luck though we're thinking of ya!!!

finding_ac said...

what does all of this cost...i am dying to know!

♥ ac