Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A little history

To get this ball rolling, I’ll give you a little history about myself. When I was 18 I was put on birth control pills because I was only menstruating once or twice a year. I was on the pill (yasmin) for 5 years. I was married July ‘05 and went off the pill in August of the same year.
I always had a feeling in the back of my mind that I would have trouble getting pregnant. In fact, when I was in high school, I didn’t think I’d ever want children, because I knew I’d have trouble.
Anywho, during HS I was very athletic playing fastpitch and/or volleyball all year round. I played a little basketball and ran a little track as well. Well, shortly after high school I began packing on the pounds…like a lot of them. In fact, in the 8 years since I’ve been outta HS, I’ve packed on 80 - that’s right 80 lbs!! Now, thankfully I am tall (6ft), so the weight doesn’t look AS bad…but still… Anyway, with my weight gain the starting to grow hair in not good places, and being moody, I knew there had to be something up with me. I did tons of research online and finally in 2006 I self-diagnosed myself with PCOS. I went to my gyno (who I’d been seeing since I was 18) with my findings. Her response was “ya, I’ve known since you’ve been coming in that you have PCOS” my internal reaction was like “Helloooooo! Why didn’t you ever tell me?!?!? Instead of letting me think I am a freak of nature!” I am still bitter about it two years later.
After discovering what is wrong with me, I could then move forward in ways to make it more manageable/tolerable.

When I went off the pill I had one more period the next month, but then nothin’ after that. I started to get a prescription of provera every 3 months so I would get my period. I was told to try for 12 months and come back if I hadn’t gotten knocked up yet.
Twelve months later…no baby. My next option was to start fertility treatment. Now, don’t get me wrong, I really wanted a baby, but at 24, I just didn’t think I was “adult” enough to go to those “drastic” measures. I said I’d like to wait a while longer.
In the meantime I had my cholesterol, insulin, and some other things checked. Diabetes is something that people with PCOS are really susceptible to to getting. My insulin was perfect - good news, my cholesterol, however, was HORRIBLE! I was told to immediately change my diet and exercise or go on a cholesterol pill. I chose diet and exercise since I can’t become preggers on the cholesterol meds. After a few months of diet, exercise, and losing 20+ lbs, I was getting my cholesterol under control.

I finally felt like maybe I was ready to maybe do the fertility stuff. Well, finally in October ‘07 my husband (we’ll call him A) and I decided it was time. So I got the referral and made the call for a consultation. My appointment wasn’t until the end of November…bummer I had to wait so long.

At my appointment my doctor made it sound like it would be no problem at all getting me knocked up…well that was almost 10 months ago. Here is a breakdown of my treatment until now:

December ‘07: 100mg Clomid, one follie on cd18, negative test
January ‘08: 100mg Clomid, one follie on cd18, negative test
February - May: Needed a break from the meds and driving to Seattle for the doc appointments (about 60 miles)
June: no luck on my own so started 100 mg Clomid, one follie on cd17, negative test
July: 100mg Clomid, one follie on cd13 (wow, early!), negative test

Here we are at August. I took 100mg of Clomid AGAIN, and have TWO follies on cd12!!. I am currently in my 2ww…*sigh*
So, that is my cycles in a nutshell. I will elaborate more of course, but I think this is a good start.

1 comment:

Mrs. Kee said...

I'm crying as I read this post, knowing that you were finally blessed with your girls but also because my obgyn told me last week that he's pretty sure I have PCOS. I'm going back in 2 months for a full lab work up but he said that it's really hard to diagnosis PCOS while you're on birth control so for right now I'm eating healthy, exercising and praying. I know this is an old post but I wanted to start from the beginning of your journey. Your story sounds so similar to mine: I've always had an irregular period, I've always had a feeling that getting pregnant would be difficult, after my freshman year of college I really started to gain a lot of weight. I'm glad I've found your blog and I'm looking forward to hopefully finding some answers and some peace through your experiences.