Wednesday, October 28, 2009

H1N1 vaccine

I am sooo on the fence on this one. When I went in for my blood draw this morning I was informed they now have the vaccine in their office. I was secretly hoping that they wouldn't get it for a long time so I wouldn't have to decide if I should get it or not.

I'm mostly leaning towards no. I know that being pregnant lowers my immune system, but I have no underlying conditions. I'm not far enough along for the babies to be pushing on my lungs and restricting my breathing. I have never in my adult...or teen life had the flu that I can remember. I know the biggest issue with H1N1 is that it is a new strain of the flu that we are not immune to, like some of the seasonal bugs, and it is more contagious.

I realized today that for the last four years we've been trying to have a baby. God chose this year, this time of the year, for me to get pregnant. Not that I think I have some divine immune system or anything, but I don't think He would choose this time and then have me die of H1N1. I have been doing a lot of research, but I have a hard time trusting anything the government says. I'm not some conspiracy theorist, but I just can't blindly trust them. Of course everyone and their mother has an opinion about the vaccine. I'm asking for yours. What would you do? Would you get it? Not get it? Why?

I'm also lucky because my office knows about my pregnancy and they are doing all they can to protect me. No one is allowed to use my computer or my phone unless necessary and if they do then they are to tell me so I can disinfect it. They have put disinfecting wipes at all common areas such as copiers, fax machines, the kitchens, etc. On Friday we are having the staff bring their kids in to "trick or treat" around the office. During those few hours I'm going into hiding. I have a project I'm going to work on behind closed doors. I don't need any snot-nosed kids getting my sick :0)

I also think I am exposed to the public less than some. I'm pretty much a homebody. Other than doing the grocery shopping or running errands occasionally, I'm at home. I'm an avid hand washer and I keep hand sanitizer in my purse.

Anyway, I wanted to throw this out there and see what y'all think. I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm planning to talk about this with my doc next week when I have my u/s...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not good help. I am totally on the fence too! I will be checking on you.

www.infertilityinstability.blogspot.com

Maria said...

Hi! My name is Maria and I've been following you blog for sometime now through Jess. First of all - much belated congrats! I was thrilled to tears (literally) when I read you got you first BFP.

ANYWAY... I decided to chime in on this one because I feel a lot as you do regarding this vaccine and the gov't. I am also pregnant, 11w3d and I've decided not to get either the seasonal or h1n1 vaccines. I've never gotten the seasonal vaccine, I can't remember the last time I had the flu, and I trust the wonderful immune system God blessed me with.

Though you still have to ultimately make the decision that is best for you, rest assured every pregnant woman is going through the same ordeal right now.

Here's one who's decided against.

Amanda said...

OMG, if someone offers it to you, GET IT! I am going to get it as soon as I can. I got my seasonal for the first time in my life and as long as I can get the ped version of the H1N1 I will be getting it.

You're pregnant with twins! That's 3 lives (counting yours)! Hopefully this will have passed before they are born, but you may be able to pass on antibodies to them when they are too tiny to get vaccinated and protect them further (and because they are twins, they will probably be a little early and more fragile, so it seems especially important). Truth is that the progesterone alters your respiratory system before your lungs start being pushed on so the changes happen earlier than you would think. And because of double the baby, you will grow pretty fast.

If you don't want your vaccine, please mail it to me! I told my husband that they don't know when they will have a vaccine for me and he was pissed. He hears my fast and somewhat labored breathing at night and we know how devastating this could be (and I don't have any underlying conditions either). My very healthy baby nephew got it the other month and he got pneumonia and it was very scary! And no one that he comes into contact had it, so they don't know where he got it from, but it goes to show it doesn't matter how careful you are, anyone could get it. Also, it's really an air transmitted virus. You can wash your hands all day, but if you walk by some viruses floating in the aisle of the grocery store there isn't much you can do. If I see/hear someone cough, I go the other way. If I can't make it to the 'old people' mass at church I don't go, because I just can't risk the mass where all the children come.

heather said...

I am not yet pregnant (still trying...and trying...and trying...) but I plan on getting it as soon as possible. I do have allergy-related asthma, and got bronchitis with any kind of cold/flu in high school, which would put me down for a month. I've had walking pneumonia at least once since, even though in general my health is better and I don't get bronchitis much anymore. I get the seasonal flu shot every year, and already got that one for this year.

I just think with as easily as it seems to spread, and the potentially worse effects on pregnant women (which I hope to be during the flu season) compared to the general population...it's the best thing for me to do.

Anonymous said...

The people I know who get the sickest and get sick the most often get flu shots. My kids are way healthier than the children we know who get vaccinated. One of my children has been on antibiotics once because she was bitten all over by a cat. None of them have had to have antibiotics due to illness. They have healthy immune systems that haven't been tampered with.

I haven't come across a single pro-vaccine study that can't be traced back to pharmaceutical companies in some way. Yet, there are numerous studies with evidence against vaccines that are funded by those with absolutely nothing to gain by being opposed to them. Some, in fact, have been black listed in the medical community for publishing their results. If they're willing to sacrifice their careers to expose data, I'm inclined to trust their data over those who stand to make millions by publishing theirs.

If vaccines really work as claimed, why do those making money with vaccines claim those who don't get vaccinated are a threat to those who do? The reality is that those who get the live virus in the nose are a threat to the rest of us. The reality is that the only U.S. cases of polio in over twenty years have occurred in those vaccinated against it. In recent years chicken pox outbreaks have occurred in those vaccinated against it. It's vaccination awareness week. Google Dr Mercola. See what he has to say about vaccines.