Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cankles

Yes, I have them. And no, they aren't pretty. For those of you who do not know what a "cankle" is, it's when your calf and your ankle look one in the same - there is no real definition between the two.

When the warm weather hits, my calfs and ankles swell. It can actully get pretty uncomfortable and it sometimes feels like my skin is going to split (nice, eh?). I went to the doc about it a couple of years ago and really the only thing I can do about them is to lose weight.

Around that same time is when I found out how HORRIBLE my cholesterol is. Since I was starting the ferterlity treatment at that time I couldn't go on any drugs, so my only solution? Lose weight.

I could go on and on about all the things that point me to losing weight, but I won't bore you.

I was inspired to write this post by another blogger buddy who struggles with her weight too. It is hard. It is really hard to stick with it. I've bounced around with losing 10-20 lbs or so, but never anything significant. I've had my thyroid checked, it's in decent shape. I've had my insulin checked, again, decent shape. So really other than my messed up hormones I don't really have an excuse that is holding me back from shedding the 100lbs I'd love to lose.

I know it has to be a lifestyle change and not just a diet. But, I still would like to kickstart myself and lose 20 or so pounds quickly. I've tossed around the idea of doing the S.lim Fas.t shakes for breakfast and lunch and then a Le.an Cui.sine or some thing for dinner for a while to get things going (obiously I'd add a lot of fruit and veggies for snacks), but I don't know. If I wasn't TTC, I'd probably try A.lli.

Eating better though is so much easier for me than exercising. Getting my keester moving is hard for me. I constantly find excuses, no matter what. I really make myself mad sometimes. I'm glad nobody can hear inside my head, because there is a lot of argument in there about this topic.

I've thought about joinging a gym, but I've been there, done that. I commit for a month or two then I slack off. Plus it can be spendy. I've thought about doing some sort of water aerobics or something at the Y, but here it starts at lik 5 or 5:30 AM, and I'm not a morning person (like that excuse?). I used to walk with my MIL, but it got too hot in the summer to do it after work, so we tried the mornings...but again, not a morning person.

I basically have a gym in my garage, but it's too boring, or too warm, or away from the dogs, then they'd have to be locked up, and it's not fair to them since they are locked up all day (see I told you I'm good at excuses)

I'd walk my dogs, but there are three of them, and it kinda hard, and one of them doesn't walk very far before he just stops (ya, that's right, he'll just stop and stare at me and I'll have to coax him along). I don't get much of a workout walking them, because the one that stops is the bassett and he doesnt' walk too fast either.

I could go on and on, but again, I don't want to bore you.

I really do need to figure out somethign and stick with it...

Ooh! I just thought of a major pro to doing the S.lim F.ast thing...I could easilly bring those to work and I would have plenty of time on my lunch hour to walk (we have a good trail by the office). If I do end up getting knocked up I could still walk and just pack a lunch that has more calories, but until then, I think that's a pretty good idea. AND I would get some exercise in at the same time!!

I guess now I just need to grocery shop!! :0)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I tried slim fast, but I think it's gross.

A regular walking routine is probably the best way to start any sort of exercise routine for non athletic types. If you can find something to motivate you while you do it that would be helpful (ipod? I like watching netflix movies while on my treadmill).

I've never done weight watchers, but I know a lot of people really love that program and the group thing might be helpful.

Good luck, weight loss is hard, but healthier is always a good move.

Jess said...

Don't don't don't do that Alli-stuff. I looked into it, and it just looks bad.

I'm glad to know that you're right there with me. :)

Good luck tomorrow, by the way!!

michaela said...

I just happen to stumble upon your blog and I am laughing so hard about your dog not wanting to walk! I have 2 labs and one of them could walk for days and the other one thinks walking without fetching anything is the dumbest thing in the world. Like your dog he will just stop in the middle of the road, put his head down and won't move.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. I have just started mine today and I have PCOS as well. Have you thought about a low Glycemic Index diet? That is what I plan to do as well as walk for 30 minutes until I get in better shape.