Tuesday, September 15, 2009

little update

I had my ultrasound today. Lots o' follies are growing. No lie, there were probably 10 on each side that measured from 7-19mm. Because there are so many Dr. M cut my dosages back and he informed me....*drum roll, please*...I'll be doing IVF this cycle!!!

I was very excited at first. According to the doc's Web site I have about a 51% chance of a positive. Then reality of the extra money sank in, along with the other 49% that results in a negative. I also am fighting the urge to not get stressed about work. This week and next are possibly the busiest two weeks of the year for work. We have a huge annual event next week. I am supposed to be gone Mon-Thu at this event.

As of right now, the plan is for me to have my HCG injection tomorrow night and do the egg retrieval on Friday morning. Friday sucks. That is the ultimate busy day of wrapping up stuff and packing to leave on Monday for this event. Sounds like I won't really be involved since I'll be sedated for the retrieval that morning. They say to "take it easy" the rest of the day, so I'll have to see what that means. Can I go to work if I sit most of the time? We'll see.

Also, the transfer back would be 5 days after the retrieval...Wednesday. That is the middle of when I'd be gone. I will find out for sure tomorrow morning when I go in for another u/s and then I'll have the dreaded talk with my boss.

My boss has been so fantastic during this whole thing. She allows me the flexibility of coming and going when I need to and making up the time when I can. I just feel really bad missing out this week so much and possibly missing out on the whole event. I know the world will still spin if I don't go and they will work it out with another staff member, but still...Besides, the overtime pay is nice!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. I'll let you know if anything changes after my appointment tomorrow.

Also, if anyone has any experience with IVF, please share. The retrieval really freaks me out.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, I don't know everything about your situation, but I'd say you've come this far, go all the way if you can!

Is their any chance of a 3 day transfer? I'd just want to prepare my boss for that possibility too if I were you. If you decide to do it, just be careful not to push yourself too much, you might not feel great after retrieval and you might really want to take it easy after transfer based on your comfort level and your clinic's instructions.

Anonymous said...

WOW shocker! My jaw dropped when you said you were going to convert to IVF! I have no experience in fact I have no experience with even ovulating.

So, this is my no advice GOOD LUCK! I will be checking on you.

www.infertilityinstability.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Hey =)

I am onto IVF #2. 1st one was a BFN in August. ...

Okay, Egg retrieval day, you will WANT to stay home and lay down for the entire day, and MAY be sore for several days after. The actual procedure I was -out- for...I slept thru the entire thing, but later, I was very tender and bloated...ADVICE you NEED...get some fibre in! You will be constipated, and it will hurt to strain :P

Most clinics put you on 24 to 48 hours of bedrest after the transfer, my clinic does 48 hrs, and I am in Bellingham. I know in Canada, they do 24 hours.

After you trigger you will feel FULL, your follies will have a growth spurt and you will start to do the waddle walk... Alot od people take a week off starting after trigger day...

Everyone is different tho

Good Luck!! I hope you get alot of frozen embabies too! that will save you a fortune from doing IVF again...The chance is much lower with the frozen, but better than an IUI. (I have 8 frozen)