Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Speechless

I am speechless. What an evening.

I had my u/s appointment today - good news - no cyst!

While I'm on the table with my feet in the stirrups the doc decides he'd like to measure the length and width of my uterus. He proceeds to clean my cervix, stab me with something and then I feel some kind of little wand poking the top of my uterus from the inside - ouch! He asked how I was doing, I said it was better than the tenaculum he used last time.

To top it all off, this was being done on the second day of my period...which is the worst (read: heaviest) day for me. Ew.

He gets done, I get dressed and I meet him in his office.

He tells me that my uterus looks great and would make a great home for an embryo. Thanks doc.

Then he asks me if I have ever given myself a subcutaneous (just under the skin) injection before. I say no.

Then he says. Well, we're going to start lupron (as he places a vial on his desk). He pulls out a needle and said we'll do a practice shot with water. He comes and sits next to my, has me lean back in my chair, pull up my shirt a little and then like a dart, he pokes me with 2ccs of saline. THANKFULLY, it didn't hurt one bit.

He leaves to get the lupron and comes back with a vial. While he's writing up my protocol he says I can go out to the nurse and have her draw some blood. I'm assuming it's for some baseline tests, but I don't know. I go back to his office when I'm done and he has my list prepared. Lupron (in my tummy) in the morning and Lupron (in my tummy) and Fostimon (in my rear) in the evening. I go in for a blood test on Saturday and Monday (yipee on my holiday weekend - so much for sleeping in, I have to be there early).

I'm getting ready to leave and I look at the vial, it says "sodium chloride" - I say "and this is the lupron???" He says "yes".

I get home and Google sodium chloride and just as I thought...it's salt water. Excellent.

Now I get to bring my needle and alcohol wipe with me to work. Call their office first thing, go pick up the RIGHT meds and inject myself.

I never thought I'd give myself a shot. This is the single reason I'm scared to not get diabetes. I.HATE.NEEDLES.

Extra bonus for me - he said when I'm done with these I'll start progesterone injections. I've heard about these suckers...they're not fun.

Lastly, he says that this IUI cycle switching to an IVF cycle is very possible...we'll see!

What a night. I got to their office about 5:15, was called back at 6:45, left their office at 7:25, drove to the pharmacy, waited 20 mins for the needles, and was home about 8:20. Sigh.

After scarfing some food, I'm ready for bed.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I hope all works out. Don't blame you for being skeptical - but hopeful all the same! Best wishes and much love your way!

Amanda said...

I've had stuff like that happen to me where I knew something was wrong but told it was right only to later find out that I was right and now have to do extra work to fix the problem. Frustrating!

I'm kinda surprised he's adding lupron to the mix. I think it's probably a good idea and I was trying to get my RE to agree to an injectable protocol with it due to all that LH seeming to be screwing things up. Good luck! Hopefully it's all worth it.

finding_ac said...

your totall right - what a day!!
that must be the most uncomfortable thing EVER to have someone clean out your uterus when you are on the good ole period, wow that would be awkward..i would be thinking he was thinking i stank or something. I for one, am excited for the progesterone for you -even if it does make you feel nutzo, cause that is a med to make sure baby attaches and stays right where he is..so that is a major awesome thing....but i do have a q about the iui to ivf comment- what are you talking about? fill me in!!

♥ ac