Saturday, September 19, 2009

The waiting game has begun!

I had my second IUI yesterday. It went so well! It might have been the easiest and least uncomfortable one yet. I am so thankful!

Hubby's sperm numbers weren't too bad. The first IUI he had 15 million. He's had better (up to 50 mil), but it wasn't bad. Dr. M was satisfied. Yesterday he had 7 mil, but Dr. M said that's pretty good for the second day. Hopefully just one of those 22 million sperm found one of my eggs.

I was so extremely relieved that the IUI's went so well, because...the bloating I've been experiencing from the HCG shot and ovulating multiple eggs has been the worst it's been in the two years we've been doing treatments. Dr. M told me ahead of time that I might have some discomfort from releasing so many follicles. I don't know exactly why the HCG effects me more with multiples eggs, since I haven't bothered to Google it. It is what it is. Dr. M has been asking me how I've been doing and keeping notes just in case things get out of control

One of the dangers of OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome), is blood clots. He told me to start some baby aspirin for a while, and to drink lots of water. I told him yesterday that in the morning I had drank about 40oz of water and not urinated until about 1pm. He made note of it and told me to continue to drink a lot of water. He felt my tummy and said it actually was looking pretty good. Which was a relief because I felt like a whale. He said some women get so bad their belly looks like they are pregnant and they have to have the fluid drained with a needle (yeck!).

Anywho, today I am feeling better, but still bloated. The thought of putting on pants without elastic is not appealing :0) I'm still drinking lots o' water and going to the bathroom more, so that's good.

Now I start my two week wait...hopefully for the last time...The first week should go by fast since I'll be so busy with work, but week two might be torture. We'll see. I'm still indifferent whether or not this cycle will work. I think just the relief of getting to ovulation is a huge weight of my shoulders, that I haven't really gotten a chance to think about the next two weeks. Hubby was saying last night that he is actually getting nervous that this time might work. It's our best chance yet. He said we've been trying to get pregnant for so long, what do we do when it actually happens? Which is true, it will be a shock - but of course a good one!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Hope this 2ww goes by quickly (and with a happy BFP at the end)! Fingers crossed!

Amanda said...

I've heard IVF girls say to stay away from water and drink gatorade. But your doc is fine with water, so it's probably not a big deal. Hopefully you successfully avoid OHSS and got some solid O's out of that!

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for you, wishing you lots of luck!